21 апреля 2019

Easter

What does it mean?

Easter is a spring festival of new life. As a pagan tradition, it is the beginning of growth and new life after the cold, winter months. The name comes from the Anglo-Saxon goddess of the dawn and spring – Eostre. For Christians, Easter celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ and practising Christians attend special church services at Easter time. Easter celebrates life and rebirth, which is why we see lots of symbols of new life and fertility at Easter, like eggs, chicks and rabbits.

When is it?

Unlike Christmas, Easter isn’t on the same date each year. It takes place on the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring. Schoolchildren and students in the UK have about a two-week holiday at Easter time, which is almost as long as the Christmas holiday. It’s also the first public holiday after Christmas and everyone looks forward to their Easter break as a moment to relax, have a short holiday or visit family and friends.

Chocolate eggs

For most British children, Easter means chocolate Easter eggs. The shops are full of bright Easter displays decorated with chicks, rabbits and flowers, all with the objective of selling chocolate eggs in huge numbers. And it works! 90 million chocolate eggs are sold in the UK each year and each child receives on average eight chocolate eggs.
However, the eggs are sold in cardboard boxes and sometimes there’s more packaging than chocolate! Also, some people believe that too much chocolate is eaten and most doctors and dentists would advise people to eat Easter eggs in moderation.

Other 'egg-straordinary' traditions

In the UK, chocolate is definitely the most popular way to enjoy eggs at Easter. But there are some less sugary traditions, too. Chickens’ eggs are painted and decorated to give as presents, and eggs are also hidden for children to find as part of an 'egg hunt'. Some places even hold competitions to see who can roll an egg down a hill without it breaking!
There are other special foods too. Hot cross buns are typical cakes that are made at Easter time. They are spiced bread rolls with raisins and they always have a cross shape on top. They are delicious toasted with butter.



Do you celebrate Easter? If so, what do you do? What's your favourite part of the Easter holiday? 

11 комментариев:

  1. I with my family bake cakes and getting together with family for a meal

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. At Easter my family paints eggs and goes to the church and have festive dinner

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. I with my family paint eggs using onion skins, getting together with family for a meal

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. At Easter my family paints eggs using onion skins, go to the church, exchange eggs and smash the tips of eggs with my friend

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. I with my family paint eggs using onion skis and getting together with family for a meal

    ОтветитьУдалить
  6. I with my family bake cakes and goes to the church and have festive dinner

    ОтветитьУдалить
  7. I with my family paint eggs,go to the church, than bless the food at church, bake cakes (Kulich)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  8. I believe that Easter is considered to be the biggest religious holiday.Before the holiday,we always clean the house with the family. After cleaning,we paint eggs and go to church on Saturday morning to bless the food. On Sunday morning we gather together with the whole family and eat holiday dinner.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  9. Easter is a bright spring holiday. On Saturday morning, my family and I go to church to bless egss. On Sunday we invite grandmother and celebrate easter together. We have tradition to smash eggs and have fun.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  10. I believe that Easter is a family holiday. We gather the whole family at home with relatives. The day before the holiday, my mother and I decorate the basket, paint the eggs,glue the festive stickers on the eggs. The next morning l go to church and have a basket filled with eggs, Easter cakes, salt and candy and l put a candle into the cake. And in the morning the most interesting and fun is battle of eggs. I play only with my grandfather. If i win, he will give me money.

    ОтветитьУдалить

  11. At Easter I will go to church to sanctify the eggs. I will eat them with my parents later.

    ОтветитьУдалить